January 10, 2008.
You should read these articles and tell me what you think:
Women are Never Front Runners or Sexism vs. Racism; The story of Clinton vs. Barack.

Can Hillary Cry Her Way Back to the White House?

Change for our Children or Being young sort of sucks sometimes

The Obama/Clinton debacle
In a workplace context, Obama may have reminded women of under qualified hotshots who come along and get the big job with less experience because they're cooler and have more rapport with the boss and are, after all, men. They rallied to one of their own, just as the Clinton campaign hoped all along.
---
The wrong question about Obama has been "Where's the beef?" -- "beef" meaning policy substance. Policy papers in profusion can be ginned up by campaign advisers, of whom Obama has plenty. The right question is whether he is a souffle -- pretty and pleasing, but mostly air and apt to collapse if jostled. Presidential politics is an exhausting, hard, occasionally even cruel vetting process -- necessarily so, given the stakes -- and now that he has been bumped hard we shall see if there is steel beneath the sleek gray suit. source

I don't not like Clinton. I like her, and considered voting for her a few weeks ago, I just think Obama has a better chance in the general election. Whether or not she wants to believe it, she's part of the old regime. As much as people love Bill, that doesn't mean they'll vote for Hillary. She's a polarizing figure, and after so many years of that, I don't think that's what the country needs right now.

And I think that's sort of where I am. I'm a cynic and I don't try to hide that fact. It's not like I have no hope or don't think of possibilities, I just find many popular opinions to be limited and unattainable; maybe that's why I like Barack. Thing is, as high and mighty as the seat of Presidency is, it's not the be all and if the President doesn't abuse his power, it doesn't come with a free pass [I'm looking at you, President Bush]. There are more obstacles to reforming the heath care system than just having a plan, there are more reasons why getting out of Iraq will be extremely difficult, on and on; which is why I take the candidate's positions at face value and not let it be the end reason for my vote because intentions only go so far in D.C. I read in some exit poll that those who voted more on character than platform went to Barack [and visa versa for Clinton] in the Democratic vote. In the end, I think the American people have more power than we exercise and that's sad. Obama seems to be a, yes, uniting figure, but one that can inspire passion in people. It's something desperately lacking today with a crooked administration that a lot of people talk about, but few actually try to do anything about.

As much as Hillary's win gave the camp renewed fervor in the upcoming races, I'm not sure it's enough, although it may be since many of the states are closed [as in independents can't vote], that would help Clinton. Her campaign's tactics right now are also bothering me. Bill's jabs at Obama are more disturbing to me than Hillary's. Negatives don't work for me, and they shouldn't work for anyone. If Obama does win the nomination, Bill and co. will have to backtrack and pretty talk their way out of the insults thrown at Obama. And everyone, Obama included, are playing every card they can; race, sex, hope, experience. They're true. Obama needs to show his true colors with the nitty gritty details and not just messages of hope, which he can. He has a great team behind him, which should help him with that, right now. He's right that words can make a difference, but so do actions.

At the bare numbers, Obama is still up in the delegate count by one. They both got the same number of delegates from New Hampshire, but maybe all Clinton needed was a momentum push.

So maybe I'm a hopeful cynic.

Looks like Karl Rove wants Clinton to be the Democratic nominee. Did anyone also notice Mike Huckabee's little endorsement from gmail? He's the only candidate I've seen at the top of my screen when I check my email.

January 11, 2008.
Even if you hate are only somewhat interested in the election, you should read this article because it's funny, and in its own exaggerated sense, true. And short. Really, you should read it.

January 12, 2008.
This article gives a good outline for my backing Barack over Clinton (it's about Clinton).

January 22, 2008.
01. Republicans are more liberal than you think, but not the ones that write

02. It might be wrong of me, but this German article about Obama/Clinton bothered me.

January 24, 2008.
Sen. Clinton began distorting Obama's record in Monday night's debate and yesterday began airing a television attack that twists a recent Obama statement about former President Ronald Reagan to the point of clear inaccuracy. Bill Clinton, meanwhile, has wrongly accused Obama both of injecting race into the debate and of running a negative campaign against his wife.

They have gone well beyond engaging in tough political jousting while steering the campaign far from the substantive issues. Their tactics are reminiscent of the unproductive, distasteful mudslinging that started with Bill Clinton's election and continued through George W. Bush's reelection.

Sen. Clinton has an obligation to restore her competition with Obama to the level of fairness that has generally prevailed for the past year. And Bill Clinton should heed the counsel of Democratic elders, including Sen. Ted Kennedy, Rep. Rahm Emanuel and former Sen. Tom Daschle, who have called on him to cease fire.

[full article]

As distressing as it is, if she keeps it up and McCain wins the Republican nomination while keeping clean in campaigning, I might have to vote for him over Clinton. Their [the Clintons] strategy is just making me not trust her a lot. Also, with a Democratic majority in Congress and McCain's history of liberal stances I am not fearful of what he would do, although I still prefer Obama.

The extent of the Clinton's need to be in the White House again scares me.

January 30, 2008.
McCain a real Republican or just one of the left?

After watching the debate tonight, I don't think I could vote for McCain, his negative campaigning and smug looks just make me want to scream. Huckabee's "what about me" mini-rants made me giggle, his stance on the social issues did not. I have to admit Paul's constitution rant was a breath of fresh air [I know he's crazy and has been known to be a bigot]. It's one of the reasons I support Obama as much as I do. As a constitutional lawyer, I feel he won't toe the line as much as Bush, or as much as Clinton did/would. It's been a trend that each president tries to get more and more power out of that seat [which was really not intended to be all powerful in the least. I was watching C-SPAN one night and someone I am sure is very read in the constitution said that the presidency is the "head of state, not the head of government. As our country has gotten older, it seems we have forgotten that bit.]

I also wanted to give a shoutout [or HOLLA! as Ellen would say] to John Edwards, for a well fought campaign. His farewell speech. The man is eloquent and has many good ideas for the nation. Even though I don't so much count myself as one of his supporters, I understand the appeal and have many friends who do. I still think he would have made an amazing president, and maybe it's my being warped into the two-person race, or just some petty issues I had with the way he presented himself. I don't feel bad for Guiliani though. I do have a little issue with how skewed our primary system is though.

--

Not sure what this blog will look like after a little bit, but that is the start of my political-blogging future.

0 comments